Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow! Who are we? Where did we come from? Where is God leading us?
Back in 1911 when Davie was a place “way out in the Everglades” known as Zona and only accessible by boat or “flying machines”, a vibrant group of immigrants from across the world came together to form a church to serve the Lord in ministry and outreach through love and hope.
From a humble start in a bean-packing house in 1911 where services were led by devout laymen and women, the congregants voted to affiliate with the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1915. The congregation moved to what is now the “old Davie School” and received the first ordained pastor, Rev. E. B. Aycock. Rev. Aycock is credited with founding the first Boy Scout troop, troop 118, that still meets today.
The first church building was built in the mid-1920s one block north of our current location. The furniture of the original building was donated by Park Temple Church in Ft. Lauderdale with whom we shared pastors. The original pulpit furniture is still in use in the Chapel and Narthex.
We have had 32 pastors since 1916, each being sent for their specific gifts and graces. The Rev. Dr. Wilma Davis was our first female pastor serving 1929-1938. During her tenure the congregation grew in large part due to her ministry to students. The students would come to the church directly after school for choir practice, dinner, and then a ride home.
The membership fluctuated in the early days due to floods, hurricanes, and war but in 1958 with the arrival of Rev. John H. Hires, Sr. the church began to grow in leaps and bounds. As a result, a new parsonage was built, mission projects for Cuba, Alaska, Chile, and the Florida Keys were undertaken. The youth participated in monthly church cleanups, polio and UNICEF drives, and Thanksgiving baskets for the needy always answering God’s call in love and hope.
Rev. Harrison, through the Holy Spirit, inspired the church with faith and foresight to plan a church to serve future growth. In 1963 the decision was made to build our current Sanctuary and on Easter Eve 1965 it was dedicated to the Honor and Glory of the Lord. 1963 also marks the first performance of the live Christmas Tableau.
In the years since moving to this current campus the church has experienced a growth in missions, facilities, and servants. As we move forward into the future we continue to seek God’s direction for ministry and outreach both local and global. Our mission, our vision is “to transform lives through sharing the promise and hope of God’s love!”